Task 1: Match the phrases to the situations.
a) Speak of the devil!
b) What have you been up to?
c) What makes you tick?
d) I feel like we’ve got so much more to talk about!
e) Right! I need to make a move.
1. You’re really enjoying talking to someone but unfortunately you’re running out of time.
2. You’ve been talking about someone and suddenly that person is approaching you.
3. You want to ask someone about their passion or motivation.
4. You want to end up a conversation.
5. You meet someone you haven’t seen for some time and you want to catch up with them.
Extra task below the video
Put these sentences in the order you would probably use them in a conversation with a new person.
- What floats your boat?
- I’m a bit pressed for time!
- I don’t think we’ve crossed paths before.
- I’d love to carry this on at another time.